Existing SVG file as a background

trace

I have some patterns that I drew by hand in a vector graphics package. I can export them to SVG.

I would like to make a parameterised version of these patterns in Valentina. I know the body measurements and ease that it was drawn for.

So, my feature suggestion is the ability to display an SVG file as wallpaper/background.

It would be an entirely static image. The only requirement is that it is display in the same scale as the Valentina drawing objects that I would create on top of it. That is, it would need to redraw as you zoomed and panned. It would be nice to be able to set an opacity so that it appears grey rather than black, but this could easily be done prior to making the SVG.

With this as a background, I envisage it would be easier to turn it into a parameter driven pattern.

Does this sound useful to anyone else? Is there a better way of doing it?

Hi @MrDoo, Here is that issue on bitbucket. Please add your thoughts to this issue.

https://bitbucket.org/valentinateam/valentina/issues/258/new-feature-tracing-mode

Thanks. Yes thats exactly what I’m after. Albeit at the simplest end of what is discussed there.

If anyone can provide me some hints as to how to start to implement this that would be welcomed!

There was quite a discussion on this a few months back when someone suggested using Ghost-It software which will put a translucent image over the screen and allow you to ‘trace’ the image through it. Perhaps it would help you.

The issue #258 refers to using a PDF or bitmap (JPG)… makes sense to be able to trace over a bitmap, but it would make more sense to me to be able to directly Import-> SVG as a new pattern piece - seeing as how an SVG is already in vector format.

Directly importing an SVG, converting it to a parameterized engineering document, as discussed in issue #258 as ‘reverse engineering’ will need computer vision/AI to implement. But it’s a good idea. :smiley:

@Grace, that looks like that would be good. Unfortunately it looks like it is Windows only, but could work for other people. The one issue I can imagine with that approach is you’d have to avoid panning and zooming in the Valentina workspace. Nethertheless, it would be better than eyeballing two windows side by side which is my current approach :slight_smile:

I missed the old discussion about ghost it but I looked around yesterday for a tool I might use to see transparent overlay windows on my KUbuntu system and found nothing. I could write code by if I start writing code again, that will probably not be my first priority